Friday, September 18, 2009

Blythburgh, The Estuary


Roger Fry was inspired to paint this picture the summer him and his friend visited Blythburgh in 1892. Blythburgh is a small village on the River Blyth. Fry loved to paint scenery. I'm not to sure what really pulled me into this picture. But it really caught my eye when i first looked at it. I like how he used the dark colors in the foreground with the trees and the river but then he lightened them up in the background with the clouds and the sky. It just seems so relaxed and calm to me. The painting almost makes me want to go and visit Blythburg. But the trees look almost unreal to me. They are super tall and skinny with all the leaves bunched up at the top. The whole thing looks kind of unreal. I wonder if this is how he saw it in his eyes? Because the River Blyth looks really run down. And not as beautiful as in his picture. Why do you think he made it look so good in his painting when it really doesn't look all that great in real life?

3 comments:

  1. You bring up a great observation--how the artist can idealize something (the river) to have the qualities that he or she sees in it--not what most people see. That's what I love about art--it's about seeing things differently where I feel that advertising is about seeing everything in the same way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Exactly art really brings out how you personaly think about somrthing because someone else make think different of it. And i think that is really what drug me into this picture. Is how differnt it is from scenery pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i think it is interesting, because dont we do that with people, look for the best and idealize the best?
    and bring those to the foreground of our minds, pushing out the negitivity and flaws.

    ReplyDelete