Friday, September 18, 2009

Gardenia 2


Sandi Fellman is the photographer who took this picture. She used this picture for the cover of one of her books. She takes pictures of a lot of different things, but this picture is the one that caught my eye the most. I don't know why that this was my favorite out of all of her picures. Margaret Loke from New York Times talked about Sandi Fellman and said "photographs that transform the humble into amazing objects of desire." I agree with this because this Gardenia is something that is just not as important as other things, but she makes it to where it could be someones desire.There are different ways that people could say that this could be like someones desire. I really don't know why, but i have ideas. I think that it might be because it is so close up to the middle of the gardenia and you can't see the whole thing. Or could it be because it is not in color, and its more of a sepia color? I think that could be it too, because it makes it more mysterious because you don't know the exact color of it. Is it like a desire because of the shadows? I think that it could be because of the shadows because it is also somewhat mysterious. This picture is mainly just mysterious because you don't know anything about it, just that it is a Gardnia. I want to know where this picture was taken. Is this the only flower, or ir there more surronding it? Also, when was this picture taken?

5 comments:

  1. I love how you point out the sepia tone--and how the picture is beautiful and mysterious. Sometimes when reality hits, things (and sadly, people) aren't as attractive as they are at first I think the photographer hit on the essence of fantasy. Or maybe even what is inside a person.

    I love your question--is this rose alone or with others? I see it with others, but as special--maybe its uniqueness would be overlooked if the photographer hadn't noticed it an brought it to our attention.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how you included the quote about transforming the humble into an object of desire. I also love your analysis of the painting! Great thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i really like this painting/photo{im not really sure}
    and i also like how you brought up the alone or in a group concept, it makes me think of people and how i can be one in a million or i could be the one that stands out you just have to find the person thats gonna take the time to seek out your unique-ness, to find you in the boquet of people.

    ReplyDelete
  4. About the desire in the photograph I think this is very true to this picture I find it soft and comforting which is something I desire in my life.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree that it is fantasy because you don't know what the gardenia really looks like because of the sepia. Maybe it is refering to how it takes a while to see what is inside of other people. You have to look past their looks to see their personality. I like the comment about the alone or in a group because it seems to me that Sandi Fellman took the time to find the uniqueness in this flower. I also agree how it is soft and comforting and how it can be a desire for many people.

    ReplyDelete